Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Reflections On Week 1

So far I haven't had any problems with getting all my work done. The only factor I do see affecting my participation would be my schedule. This year water polo training is getting to be quite intense so I end up exhausted by the time I get home. 

My awesome best learning experience occurred in Target. I was getting ready to go on a trip to a church camp so I was picking up some snacks. I turned the corner into an aisle in search for some sunflower seeds. As I did a really old man, probably about 70, saw me and put his hand in his pocket. As I neared him he pulled out a butterscotch candy and tossed it at me. At the moment I was completely oblivious to the old man and just noticed a yellow ball coming towards me. I tore my hands out my pockets and barely succeeded in catching it. I looked up to see where it came from and the old man just said, "Wow nice catch! But keep your hands out of your pockets son. You'll never know what you'll miss out on in life if you walk through it with your hands in your pockets." Astonished I kinda just stared until he raised his hand and made a fist. I couldn't leave the dude hanging so we fist bumped and I muttered a thanks and went on my way. While walking away I realized what exactly he meant and what I just learned. From the experience the most important thing I learned was in our crazy world how are you ever supposed to catch an opportunity that's flying by if you walk through it with your hands in your pockets. 

For this class I am most excited about the new relationships I can build with my new classmates and Mr. Ostini. So far I've come to realize that English teachers can either be the best people and provide you with so many good memories, or the exact opposite. I'm not really worried about the opposite because it seems like I'll leave this class with a whole lot of new memorable experiences. I actually look forward to learning how to write very well. I enjoy writing but its a bit hard for me to get my thoughts down on paper. I think when I can get exactly what I want to say down on paper in a respectable and educated manner it will open up a lot of doors for me, either in school or in a workplace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment